Thursday, October 29, 2009

Are they just silhouettes.......

An artist that I really admire is Kara Walker. I found out about Walker and her work from my teacher from my teen book arts program. My teacher told me about her because she noticed my silhouette painting and said she knows of an amazing silhouette artist and printed me out information about her.

Kara Walker is an American born artist who is known for her room-size, black cut-paper silhouettes. Her work usually expresses issues such as history, sexuality, race, power, etc. I looked her up on the Internet and observed her work. I found her to be very talented and unique. She doesn't do only silhouettes, but I find those to be most impressive. I like Walker’s work a lot because I think if her pieces are stared at long enough, that there’s almost always a hidden image or something you probably didn’t notice in the beginning.


http://learn.walkerart.org/karawalker/Main/Biography


2 comments:

  1. You never really judged a work of art, you just gave your opinion on what you thought of the matter. Judging a work of art is about whether or not the piece is good and not in your mind, but on certain aspects of it; for example, if you were judging a piece of art from an expressionist point of view, you would look at whether or not how well the artist portrayed an emotion or themselves in their work of art. If you have a sense on who that artist is, and what they were feeling at that time. Also, how does she portray history, sexuality, power, ect.....you should have elaborated on that. Those were just my concerns. :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this post kind of misses the point of the assignment, as you have neither described, interpreted nor judged any particular work here. I agree, Kara Walker is a very interesting artist (did you notice there was a Walker drawing at Midway?). It seems odd that you would avoid describing work that is so graphic, bold, and unique, and that you would avoid interpreting work that is so full of ideas and meaning, and avoid judging its success, too. It seems like it would be very easy to analyze her work aesthetically or from an instrumental point of view. As you say, the work addresses complex and problematic issues and seems designed to involve viewers, and make them uncomfortable as they confront ugly aspects of society.

    If you want to look further into Walker, there is an Art 21 episode on her, streaming free on PBS.com.

    ReplyDelete