Thursday, September 17, 2009

pin(up)wheel by paper•ballet.

I was extremely confused with all the different ideas of postmodernism. I understand they were trying to come up with new ideas for the new time period. But I still don't understand it postmodernism. But, I really like the image that I chose because of the mixed media on a collage. I looks like a mixes of the 60's, maybe. This differs from modern art because they didn't do collages in the modern period. It's very illusional with objects flying all over the place. I feel like modern art doesn't really break any rules; and rules are made to be broken.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the confusion regarding modern versus postmodern. As we discussed in class, it is kind of a confusing distinction. Having said that, you can certainly interpret any image in a postmodern way, and the way this work incorporates appropriation could be seen as postmodern. Confusingly, while modern art tends to be seen as more about abstraction, etc, the collage as a technique was actually first created and exploited by modern artists: Pablo Picasso, Max Ernst, Hannah Hoch, John Heartfield, Eduardo Paolozzi, to name a few. If you enjoy the technique you may want to look their collages up. I would argue, too, that with modernism's interest in the avant-garde, it was very much about breaking rules.

    One last thing... I find myself wondering what this image is and who it is by. Can you include that information? Remember, you must cite sources.

    ReplyDelete